Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Woke up today with a clear head

Woke up today with a clear head for the first time in what seemed weeks.  Even more importantly, I looked out my open, screeened door and saw the early morning light hitting the leaves on my neighbor's tree, and felt a soul stirring response.  I was actually able to appreciate beauty !  For the first time in weeks!  The light in Albuquerque this summer has been just remarkably beautiful--more like the artistic havens of the northern part of the state, Pecos, Taos and Santa Fe.  I think it has to do with the cloud overcast caused by the unusually inordinate monsoon rains that we have been welcoming with the unmitigated enthusiasm of a desert people for water.

While intellectually I have been appreciating this unaccustomed weather, and the coolness that it brings to a normal, scorchingly hot summer, I haven't "felt" it--that soul response of gratitude and joy that is related to the psychological feeling function.  The drugs have totally separated me from that deep feeling capacity--which is what I believe makes us truly human.  It feels good to experience my humanness.

I can't say that life is perfect.  I am still on speed, and it is still dragging me down, but compared to the hell I have been experiencing while on those psychotropic drugs, life feels good.  Now, I just got to try to "get my legs back."  The drugs completed numbed and increasingly paralyzed by legs.  When I woke up this morning, I could actually feel my legs for the first time in a long time, but the muscles are still weakened and I find it difficult to walk.  So what am I going to do with this great day?  Clean house.  Who knows, tomorrow I might be all drugged up, and completely incapacitated again.  Got to make hay while the sun shines--and it is shining so beautifully today. Thank you, God.

No comments: