Thursday, August 12, 2010

“Alert Starfleet Command, we have engaged the Borg.”

“Alert Starfleet Command, we have engaged the Borg.”
“Alert Starfleet Command, we have engaged the Borg.” These are the most chilling words in all of the scores of Star Trek episodes that I ever have watched. They were uttered as Starship Enterprise battled against a ruthless enemy possessed of overwhelming technological superiority, which wants to destroy all of humanity through cybernetic assimilation to its machine collective. I can’t remember if the command was given by 1st officer Will Ryker or Captain Picard, because, of course, in the "Borg" story arc, Captain Picard is early on assimilated by the Borg,losing his individual humanity and free will as his body is invaded by nanotechnology which makes him more machine than human, and completely subjugated to the machine/computer collective known as the "Borg." While I love the phrase (and band name), "rage against the machine", I think the chilling pop culture phrase, "Borg" is more appropriate. It has the Anglo-Saxon ring of pithy and blunt directness and unequivocating honesty. Also, it is the most descriptive truth of humanity's current situation in the larger galatic universe in which we human Terrans are small bit players, but prominently positioned right now as "the Borg" look to cybernetically assimilate us to the collective hive of the machine mind. It would be a huge win for them, and would, I think, change the balance of power in the ongoing cosmic struggle. Let us not forget that, in traditional theology, Satan repudiates God out of anger for the favoritism God shows to us humans, granting us free will. We may be a technologically backward and emotionally immature people, but we are one of the last remaining "free" (relatively speaking, of course)populations left in the known universe (which is much vaster than 99% of Earth's citizenry realize).
In the Star Trek mysthology, the humans eke out a (temporary, but not decisive) victory over the Borg, as Picard is rescued from the clutches of the Borg collective, to which he had been assimilated by nanotechnology and implants that stole his free will and vitality. His crew exercised loyalty and courage to physically rescue him the heart of the Borg cube, and his mental genius and acumen, and pluck to fight back, even when enslaved and assimilated as a drone, led to the Borg defeat.
I have engaged the Borg, and I am losing. I cannot stop the nanotechnology from invading my body and attempting to flood my mind with illusions. But I still put my money on the humans, because we have the "intangibles" factor going for us. But the fight is not going well. We are beset on all sides by enemies who do not have our best interests in mind at all. I personally am fighting the Borg every day and night, as I struggle to maintain my humanity and connection and fidelity to the truth. We have small victories and larger defeats.
But, as much as I suffer, I will not give up. I will not take the route of Captain Pike (staying with the Star Trek theme), and enter the menagerie of illusion because I cannot bear a "body-destroyed-and-all-but-dead body which is practically intolerable to someone who once knew great physical energy and vitality. I will follow the lead of Stephen Hawking (who lately has been quite vocal in his warnings about contact with aliens), who may suffer from a mangled, physically unresponsive body, but who maintains fidelity to the truth of the freedom of the mind. It would be so easy for him to accept the illusions that Captain Pike did, but he refuses. I do, too, ABSOLUTELY, UNEQUOCALLY,WITH ALL MY MORAL FIBER AND SPIRITUAL WILL. The whole world is being fed lies for the enemy does not want to physically destroy us, which they could do with ease. They want to assimilate us, to enslave us in a holographic world of lies, deceit, and illusion. In order to feed us those delusions, they need to have plugged into their computer maxrix, and this is what the nanotechnology and brain/nervous system implants to do this.


I have just spent an hour of my precious 3 hour library-alloted time writing this. I felt that it was urgent to do so because I realized that my previous post which I had worked up offline on my ancient, unplugged computer (word processor) had totally disappeared from both the computer and on the disk, which I use to carry the data to the library to post. There is a remote chance that I messed up and didn't save the data appropriately, but I don't think so. I am pretty computer savvy, and wouldn't make such a basic mistake. So I can only guess that the PIB's didn't want the info out on the WWW. I am not pleased with this post, but I tried to recreate it from my earlier post. It must be important for them to want it deleted.

No comments: